Rio 2016

I am so excited the Olympics have started! I think the reason I love the Olympics so much is because of the little segments sharing the athlete's backstory. Each story is more compelling and inspirational than the next. I have never cried so much watching sports! These are always the most incredible stories and it always amazes me that even after enduring so much, they have still managed to make their dreams come true.

One of my favorite stories is 18 year old Yusra Mardini's, who is competing under the Olympic flag on the team of refugees. She and her sister fled Syria and when their boat from Turkey to Greece started to sink Yusra, her sister and a few others swam the boat to shore. She has an incredible attitude and spirit for someone who has gone through so much at such a young age.  


One of my other favorite stories is that of a runner from South Sudan named Guor Maiker. Guor fled South Sudan on foot when his village was attacked, he lost 8 out of 10 of his siblings that night. After escaping to Northern Sudan he was captured and forced into slavery. He and a friend were able to escape the slave camp and eventually made it to Egypt. From Egypt he made it to the US and to my hometown of Concord, NH. I was on the cross country and track teams in high school and was fortunate enough to watch him run back then. Now I will watch and cheer him on when he runs the marathon on August 21st. His journey to the Olympics is nothing short of inspirational. 


Comments

Popular Posts