Trip to DC

I am back from visiting Ellie in DC :( I am sad the trip has come and gone but I had such a great time. Unfortunately, I did not escape the heat, it ended up being hotter in DC than in New Orleans on some days. One of the best parts about DC is that the art galleries and museums are free and have great air conditioning! I went to so many exhibitions I came back feeling so cultured.



I read somewhere that the best time to go to the zoo is right when it opens, that is 100% correct. I dragged myself to the zoo at 8 am and it was so worth it. ALL the animals were out and having breakfast. I could not believe how close I got to BeiBei! He and his mom were having breakfast together, it was SO cute. I got my own private seal show, I watched them have breakfast and practice all their tricks. I had no idea seals play fetch with frisbees just like dogs! 


My first night Ellie and I went to see a Norwegian band called Highasakite at DC9. We were the first ones in the space but ended up having to fight our way to the front because it was so crowded! Who knew they had so many American fans! DC was their third stop on their American tour and they had to cancel the first two shows because they were sick. We are lucky they were feeling better enough to do the show! 


Four years ago Ellie and I reunited for the first time since camp at this restaurant in Georgetown. We went back to take the same picture outside!


After visiting the Holocaust Museum we went to the Washington Monument with views of the Capitol Building and the Lincoln Memorial on either side. We could also see the new Museum of African American History that opens soon! One of the guards at the Renwick told us that Oprah, Beyonce and the Obamas will be at the opening! 


I really like the mineral exhibit at the Natural History Museum. I had no idea rocks were so interesting! I did not spend much time at this museum because it was so crowded, I left and went to the much less crowded Botanical Garden. 





Visitors can only view the library from a gallery, I was jealous of all the people down there sitting at those desks. Ellie and Mathies have library cards to Library of Congress! Jealous! 



The highlight of the trip was kayaking with Ellie down the Potomac. The weather finally got slightly cooler on Sunday and it was a really nice day to be out on the water. I loved DC and I am already making a list of the places I want to go on my next visit. 

Comments

Popular Posts