Tulum Checklist

A while back I posted that I saw this picture on Instagram and was determined to go wherever that picture was taken. It was a dream I never thought could possibly come true but Mexico is not far from New Orleans and sometimes dreams really do come true. In 40 days I will be there and I cannot wait!

Tulum in the past couple of years has become a very popular travel destination. It is about 90 minutes south of Cancun and sometimes does not have electricity or working plumbing. It is known for being a bohemian retreat, a place to really disconnect and reflect. People either love it or don't really care for it. Coming from New Orleans I have a high tolerance for unpolished, gritty places where you can't drink the tap water so I think I will love Tulum. I have done extensive research and these are some of the restaurants, sites, and activities I hope to see and do.  

Mayan Ruins 


Our goal for this vacation is to lay on the beach, get a tan and relax. But when you are doing all that in an ancient city like Tulum I feel like we need to set aside some time to visit the Mayan Ruins. I read they get very crowded so my plan is to go bright and early and then we will have the rest of the day to lay on the beach. 

Beaches


Tulum is divided into the jungle side and the beach side, we are staying on the jungle side which I think is going to be so cool! Not far, though is the beach and we happen to be steps from a sea turtle sanctuary. I am guessing we will spend a lot of time at the beach near our condo but I want to spend a day at Playa Paraiso, the pictures I have seen look amazing. 

Cenotes



One of the coolest things about Tulum is the numerous Cenotes. Cenotes are collapsed limestone that exposes the groundwater underneath. There are covered Cenotes which are like caves and open Cenotes. I hope we at least get to swim and snorkel in one! 

Spa 


I really want to visit Mayan Clay Spa, it sounds like a unique experience that can only be found in the Yucatan Peninsula. It looks so relaxing and I read it helps keep your tan looking fresher longer! 

Restaurants 


I read the drinks are better than the food but that the drinks are incredible! There is always a live band and a fun atmosphere. It looks like a really cool place to go one night before or after dinner. 


In every single article or blog I read about Tulum they all insist you go to Hartwood. It has to be the most popular restaurant in the area and it is tough to get a table. The ingredients for the dishes are sustainably sourced from local farmers and fishermen daily. You can't get any fresher than that and I read the food is amazing. You can email them about a reservation (I did and never heard back) or wait in line the day of at 3 pm to make a reservation for that night. Waiting in line multiple hours for a dinner table sounds ridiculous but I cannot tell you how many times I've heard this place is worth the wait. 



It may sound weird to have Italian food in Mexico but I everywhere I read said Posada Margherita is not to be missed, so good you may even go back again. 


Casa Jaguar is another place that kept coming up over and over again. I want to go just because of the name alone but it was described as mystic and voodoo-style which makes it sound even more appealing. 

Other restaurants on my list are: 


When I started my Tulum research the first place I read about was Coqui Coqui. It is a boutique hotel, spa and perfumery. The perfume made here is even sold on Net-A-Porter! I was really looking forward to checking it out and maybe getting some perfume or a candle but according to their website, the Tulum location moved to Polynesia. I really hope this isn't true and we will at least be able to shop the scents in Tulum. 


La Troupe sells home goods and bedding sounds like a great place to pick up a unique addition to my apartment. 

Mezcal 



I am so excited for tacos and tequila, two of my favorite things but I don't want to miss out trying Mezcal! Mezcal is distilled alcohol made from agave plants native to Mexico. It has a smokey flavor and people just drink it straight. I have a feeling it is extremely strong but I just have to try it! 

Things to Consider
  • Bring a lot of cash, most places do not accept credit cards
  • Don't forget the bug spray 
  • There are no streetlights so bring a flashlight
  • Do not drink the tap water, buy bottles of water in town (cheaper)
  • Pack a lot of sunscreen 
  • Use bottled water to brush your teeth


*Side note about Chimco's, it doesn't have an address, website or phone number. You get there by walking down the beach until you find it. There are no menu's and you eat whatever they are serving. It is supposed to be delicious and even the New York Times wrote about it. It sounds like a very adventurous, exciting and unique way to have lunch!

Tulum Travel Guides I Found Helpful

  1. Glitter Guide 
  2. Lauren Wells 
  3. Lemon Stripes 
  4. Brooke Kiernan 
  5. New York Times 
  6. Lauren Conrad 
  7. Afar

Comments

Popular Posts