Tulum 0.3


On Friday we got up early to head to the Mayan Ruins. Like the Cenote, I read that the earlier you get there the less crowded it will be. Before you get to the ruins you have to park (70 pesos) and walk down the road to the entrance. I believe there was a machine that allowed you to buy tickets with a credit card. After getting your tickets and passing through the turn styles there is a little hike through the jungle. We saw an animal that looked like a cross between a lemur and a raccoon, some really bright colored birds and a lot of iguanas on our little hike!


The Mayan's were all about location, location, location! The Mayan Ruins in Tulum are overlooking the beach so that they could watch for invaders that ultimately came from Spain. It is a really beautiful spot to look out over the ocean and Playa Paraiso. There are even stairs from the ruins down to the beach so that you can go swimming. A lot of people took advantage of that because it was so hot and there is almost no shade.  We decided not to go on a guided tour and I think you can learn enough from the signs at the sites. I really don't have the patience to listen to someone talk on and on when its 95 degrees out.





I really enjoyed going to the ruins, it was very cool to see such old structures and read about who lived where and what the purpose of each structure was. The views were incredible. However, after leaving the ruins there is a very touristy area with gift shops, Starbucks and performers. I really did not like this part. There was a man walking around with a giant snake around his neck which completely ruined my experience. Even if I hadn't seen that snake the salespeople were extremely aggressive and pushy which we did not appreciate. I would recommend avoiding this part.


On Saturday I discovered my favorite spot in all of Tulum. The Real Coconut is an organic and sustainably sourced restaurant focused on foods that aid in digestive health. The menu is gluten, dairy, grain and refined sugar-free. It sounds like healthy eating taken too far, I know, but I really enjoyed all my meals and the smoothies are delicious. I had the strawberry smoothie sweetened with dates and it was the best smoothie I have ever had. The restaurant is located in the Sanara Hotel. I was able to peek into the rooms and they are so cool. If money is not an option, stay here! The location is STUNNING. Sitting at The Real Coconut looking out at the turquoise Caribbean was the definition of paradise. I cannot recommend this place enough.


Hands down my favorite part of the trip was the Mayan Clay Spa. We saved the best for last and went on our last full day. I was going to email them before our trip to book appointments but ended up not. I figured we could just call when we were there. HA, we tried calling a few times but that did not work out so we just went in person on Saturday and they were able to take all three of us for 90-minute massages the next day. We read on Trip Advisor they take around 8 days to respond to reservations via email, so luckily they were able to fit us in on short notice. They required a minimum deposit of $20 USD per person when we booked the appointments and it came out of the total the next day. With no phone or computer, we were surprised when they told us they do accept payment via Paypal which was awesome. 


The spa is on the jungle side which really added to the experience. They do not play music, you just listen to running water from the fountains and the birds. When we arrived they told us that they had to take two of us together and one alone. My sister and I said we would go together, and were so surprised when they led us to what has to be the nicest "room" in the spa. It was amazing and was obviously for honeymooners. The massage was the best massage I have ever had and probably will ever have. I felt like a million bucks when it was over. He found all my knots in my back and shoulders that have been bothering me for so long and worked them all out. I was worried that the clay would get tight and uncomfortable when it dried but they constantly reapply the clay the whole time so that doesn't happen. After it is over you are completely covered head (including your hair) to toe in clay. They bring you to an outdoor shower to wash it all off, Alexis and I were shocked to learn they wanted us to shower together! It really was the most romantic setting and it was unfortunate we were there with our sister but it is such a funny story.



The room, the atmosphere, the service made us feel like we were so special! I can't thank them enough for making it such an unforgettable experience. I highly recommend visiting the Mayan Clay Spa if you are ever in Tulum.


Tulum was a place to relax and unwind. Drink 2 for 1 margartias and eat fresh ceviche. The people were the most friendly and most welcoming of anywhere I've visited. It was the definition of halcyon days. If you are thinking about planning a trip to Tulum, let me know! I would be happy to share more tips and tricks. I hope one day I find my way back here but for now, I will try to keep repeating the Tulum mantra.




Comments

Popular Posts