Restaurants I Need To Visit

People come to New Orleans to eat. If you love food and know where to go, I don't think New Orleans will ever let you down. There are no ends to the options of restaurants around here. I love to eat and the abundance of local restaurants is one of the big reasons I love this city so much. I always feel so bad when I see a family of tourists getting lured into a restaurant by a guy waving a menu, shouting that his place has the best oysters or po-boys. If the place has to have someone stand outside to get business than that is not a restaurant worth eating at. There is nothing I hate more than wasting my money on a bad meal. 

I wish I could strictly be a vegetarian but in this city if you do not eat meat AND do not eat fish, going out to dinner is going to be a challenge. I widened my diet to include fish however, I am extremely picky. I will put together a guide of my favorite New Orleans restaurants that a vegetarian or an pescatarian can enjoy. 

The list of restaurants I still need to visit and new places I need to try is long. As tempting as it is to want to try them all it just isn't realistic, especially for my wallet. It is hard to narrow down my running list but I have gotten it down to five. For now. 


Hot-Tin Rooftop Bar at the Pontchartrain Hotel 


Originally a built as luxury apartment building in 1927 the building was converted into a hotel in the 1940s. Over the years hotel guests have included Frank Sinatra, Gerald Ford, George H.W. Bush, Rita Hayworth and Tennessee Williams! The hotel recently closed and underwent major renovations, which included John Besh buying all four bar and restaurant spaces. I love a good view and I have heard the Hot-Tin Rooftop bar has excellent views of the city. The pictures I have seen of the hotel look like they have restored the flapper era, Deep South meets Europe vibes. I can't wait to see it for myself.  


Josephine Estelle at the Ace Hotel  

Originally a furniture store, The Ace Hotel is another recent hotel renovation. The pictures of the rooms inside this boutique hotel make me want to book a staycation ASAP. For now I will have to settle for eating in their restaurant, Josephine Estelle. The menu is Italian with a New Orleans twist, which means there is not going to be a lot that I can eat but the entire hotel looks so beautiful, I just have to check it out.


La Casita Taqueria

A couple of years ago when I lived downtown, I used to run down Julia almost every day and pass this Mexican restaurant called La Casita. It always looked and smelled so good but I never got the chance to try it. This past year Allie and I were walking around Po-Boy Fest and noticed a new Mexican restaurant opened on Oak. Turns out it is La Casita just at a new location! The new spot is close to where I live now so I took it as a sign that I need to try it! 

Dryades Public Market 

The newly renovated Dryades Public Market is more like a grocery store than a restaurant but it still makes my list. It is located on OC Haley in Central City and I pass it everyday on my way to work. New Orleans is one of the largest food deserts in the country. The US Department of Agriculture defines a food desert as urban neighborhoods or rural communities without access with fresh, affordable and healthy food. The number of low income residents and the number of cars they own all factor into what defines an area as a food desert. Residents within a food desert do not live near a grocery store nor do they have access to transportation to get to the grocery store. As a result they must rely on convenient stores and fast food for most of their meals. The opening of Whole Foods on Broad and now the Dryades Public Market in Central City are hoping to help New Orlean's most under-served communities gain access to fresh, affordable food. 

Roux Carre


Roux Carre is and outdoor food court also located on OC Haley in Central City. They serve African American, Caribbean and Latin style food and focus on small businesses owned by women and minorities. I believe they have six vendors which include Miss Linda the Yakamein Lady. The vendors receive free training from restaurant consultants to help grow their businesses. I am not sure what a vegetarian will find to eat but I am excited to check out The Juice Box.

Comments

Popular Posts